5 Ways to Make Extra Money Online (on the Side)
It’s no big secret that the Internet has revolutionized how we spend money. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, more than 10% of all retail sales in America are now made online. For some kinds of products, the percentage is much higher. For instance, data from Tinuiti shows that about 44% of consumers shop online for books, movies, and music — one of the biggest categories experts say you should always buy online.
What’s less obvious, at least at first glance, is how the Internet has opened up new ways to make money. Depending on how much time and effort you want to put in, the Internet can be anything from a piggy bank you dip into for extra cash to your primary source of income.
There are easy ways to tap the power of the Internet to earn money in your spare time, such as getting cash back when you shop through an app. At the other end of the spectrum, there are full-time jobs you can do online from the comfort of your own home. It’s even possible to start a business and run it entirely on the Web. In short, the possibilities for making money online are nearly endless.
One of the easiest ways to make money online is to earn cash back on the things you buy. You can take advantage of rewards apps that give you money for shopping or, in some cases, just for going into stores without even buying anything. And you can boost your earnings even further by applying online for a new rewards credit card, which will earn you points or cash back every time you use it.
Cash In on Rewards Apps
There’s a wide assortment of shopping rewards programs and apps that can earn you money when you shop. Popular rewards apps include:
- Wikibuy. When you shop online using the free Wikibuy browser extension, it will automatically apply coupon codes to your purchase. Plus, if you’re shopping on a website like Amazon, it will scan hundreds of other websites letting you know if there is a better price somewhere else. If you are shopping in-store you can download the Wikibuy mobile app to scan product barcodes. Wikibuy will then let you know prices at other top retailers.
- Ibotta. Rewards aren’t just for online shopping. With the Ibotta app for iOS or Android, you can earn cash back for shopping in stores as well. The app offers deals on specific items, and you earn rewards when you buy them. You can shop through the app, link it to a store loyalty card, or scan your receipts with your phone to verify your purchase. Plus, at more than 50 stores, you can use Ibotta to pay for your purchase and earn instant cash back. When you sign up and redeem your first offer Ibotta will give you a $20 bonus.
- Fetch Rewards. Similar to Ibotta, Fetch Rewards allows you to earn cash back when shopping for groceries. Simply scan your receipts and you’ll earn rewards each time an eligible product appears on the receipt. You can cash out with just $3.
- Rakuten. Shopping online through Rakuten (formerly known as Ebates) earns you cash back at over 2,500 retail sites, including Amazon, eBay, and Walmart. Just click through the app to the site you want to shop on. Rewards show up automatically in your account once you make a purchase.
- Inbox Dollars. With Inbox Dollars, you can earn rewards not only for shopping with the site’s retail partners but also for just goofing off online. Taking surveys, watching TV, and playing games can all earn you anywhere from a few cents to a couple of bucks. Read our InboxDollars review.
- Shopkick. With the Shopkick app, you can earn points both in stores and online. You can get points for merely visiting a store, more points for viewing or scanning a specific item, and still more for making a purchase.
- Swagbucks. Another app that offers multiple ways to earn is Swagbucks. You can get 1% cash back on everything you buy through the site’s retail partners and also earn small sums for watching videos, taking surveys, and searching the Web. Rewards, called Swagbucks, are good for gift cards or cash. Read our Swagbucks review.
Find a New Cash Back Credit Card
The Internet can also help you find the best rewards credit card for your needs so you can earn the biggest bonus every time you shop. To find your perfect card, follow these steps:
- Check Your Credit. There are several sites online where you can check your credit score for free, such as Credit Karma and Credit Sesame. It will give you an idea of what kind of credit offers you’ll qualify for.
- Choose Your Rewards. Decide what type of reward you’re most interested in earning. You can choose from cash-back credit cards, travel rewards cards, and hotel rewards cards.
- Compare Rewards Programs. Look for a card that gives you the highest reward in the categories where you spend the most, such as gas. Consider how easy it is to use your rewards and whether they expire.
- Compare Terms. Once you have it narrowed down, compare cards based on interest rates and fees. Think about which fees you want to avoid most, such as annual fees or foreign transaction fees, and choose a card without them.
- Apply Online. Apply for the card of your choice through a secure website……..Read More>>